I am an enthusiastic music industry professional with over a decade of experience in executive management, marketing, and strategic planning with start-ups, small and medium sized businesses, and multi-national corporations.
I hold a master’s degree in music industry administration, a bachelor’s degree in sociology, and a certificate in social media marketing for business. I’ve been the VP of marketing and head of music of a half-billion dollar retail company, a serial entrepreneur, and an educator. I’ve taught entertainment marketing at Emerson College – Los Angeles Center, music business at SAE Institute Los Angeles, and a class on the business of music tech startups at UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music.
Through my work at the UCLA Center for Music Innovation, my work with South by Southwest (SXSW), and my independent work I’ve mentored, advised, and provided consulting services to numerous music tech and digital media startups, record labels, music publishers, artist management firms, and individuals from around the world.
My areas of expertise are: market research and analysis, strategic business planning (business model development, revenue models, and supply chain development), intellectual property compliance (music licensing, automated copyright recognition technologies), royalty solutions (royalty accounting, statements, and payments), business development (sales, partnerships, and affiliate programs), integrated marketing (traditional, digital, social, experiential, and affiliate), and go-to-market strategies.
In an word, I have experience in every aspect of starting, launching, and growing music tech startups. As a consultant and educator, I have a proven track record of helping entrepreneurs navigate the choppy waters to bring their products to shore, and win.
- Intellectual Property Compliance – Determining the intellectual property implications of your product or service, then recommending and assisting with securing the proper licenses to ensure compliance with domestic and foreign IP laws (copyright, patent, trademark). (I often work with my client’s preferred lawyer to translate the law into business implications and operational decisions.)
- Music Industry Liaising – Introductions, including securing pitch meetings and assisting with presentation development, to various music industry stakeholders such as record companies, music publishers, talent agencies, management firms, and service providers.
- Supplier Support Coordination – Identify, engage, and coordinate suppliers to support product development (power or add value to feature sets), asset delivery (content delivery networks or content ingestion via APIs, FTP, data feeds, or other methods), direct agreement administration (business rules management as set by label and publisher agreements), royalty processing (calculating, reporting, and paying royalties), etc.
- Artist Relations – Outreach, negotiation, and securing paid, promotional, and/or equity-based deals with artists.
- Go-To-Market Strategy – Market research and the development of a go-to-market strategy for the launch of a startup or entry into a new market.
- Strategic Business Planning – High-level business model planning, milestone planning, and growth projections.
- Music Creator Career Consultation – Are you a musician, producer, songwriter, recording artist, or artist manager seeking advice and direction on your music career? I offer a flat rate hourly consultation service for individuals. See rate below.
A sample of my advisory, mentorship, and consultation clients.
- Acapella – Create and share multi-part acapella singing videos on mobile.
- Ambient.FM – Ireland-based background music service.
- Ampsy (formerly, Fliptu) – Hyper-local social content monitoring platform.
- Audiu – Online music creator community and professional feedback.
- Baserock – The Immersive Bass-Frequency Hydration Backpack
- Beatshare – P2P music-based communications mobile app
- DreamTuner – Independent music community and streaming service.
- Featuring.Me – Fan engagement and D2F music service.
- Hangwith – Live broadcast video app
- Ignite Teaching – Student collaboration platform with teacher analytics.
- Language Zen – Language-learning platform.
- Mash Music – Music creation and collaboration app
- mydiveo – Online talent discovery & collaboration platform
- New Prowess – Mobile application developer of music retail and merch app
- OneSound – OneSound is an app that lets everyone at an event be the DJ.
- PhotoPanda – PhotoPanda separates out your good photos from the rest
- PicPlayPost – Multimedia collage creator mobile app
- Platformz – Search from music across multiple platforms.
- PlayItNow – Real-time music request app for DJs and party goers.
- Repost Network – Music aggregator and Soundcloud/YouTube MCN.
- Sonabos – Device that takes over DJ set performance during audio outage.
- Sonzia – Accessible touch-screen tech to give the disabled access to the digital world.
- Stryve – On-demand fitness platform
- Tickethackr – Innovating “off market” ticketing platform.
- TryTracks – Online music collaboration platform.
- TunePort – Direct-to-fan music sales platform.
- Wego Concerts – Social live music app that helps you discover people who share your taste in music.
START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Initial consultation is FREE. If you’re interested in learning more about my consulting services and how I can help you, please contact me via the form below.
- Music Creators – Career consultation and coaching for individual music creators or their representatives (songwriters, composers, artists, bands, managers, attorneys, consultants, etc.). Rate: $150 per hour
- Music Companies – Business consulting against an agreed upon scope of work and set of deliverable for a company (tech startup, record label, publishing company, artist management company, entertainment company, agency, etc.). Rate: $250 per hour (retainer-based discount available for long-term projects of 3 months or longer)