I shared my thoughts on the Beyonce fake album controversy in this piece by Amy X. Wang for Music Business Worldwide.
I hope you had a wonderful holiday break. I enjoyed time with family and friends for two weeks, but now I am back full swing!
I wanted to share a few exciting updates and make several announcements regarding my various projects and involvements:
1. TuneRegistry announces new clients Nettwerk Music Group and Jammber. Last year was a pivotal moment for TuneRegistry as we went through the legal battle to re-acquiring our business. We succeeded. In Q4, we launched our enterprise edition and have been working hard to on board new clients such as Repost Network, Vydia, and Create Music Group. Today we announced the addition of Nettwerk Music Group and Jammber (among many others). We are expanding the platform to offer new services in Q1 2019. Here’s the official press release.
2. The website for my consulting firm is now live. Through Rights Department, I provide consulting, coaching, and advisory services to founders of music, tech, and digital media companies. I also provide career coaching and advice to music entrepreneurs (DIY musicians, artist managers, indie label owners, music publishers, etc.). Visit www.RightsDepartment.com for details.
3. I return this week to UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music. I am so excited to return to UCLA to teach “Music Industry Entrepreneurship and Innovation.” The course has grown in popularity within the department, so I believe it will be offered in the Spring as well. This class is very special to me because I get to help bright young future entrepreneurs and business leaders realize their potential as entrepreneurs.
4. My speaking engagements are starting to solidify. I will be speaking at the Digital Entertainment World on Feb. 4th, Balanced Breakfast Music Summit on Feb. 9th, and SXSW on Mar. 14th. More on speaking engagements can be found here.
6. Webinar for A2IM Members. I will be conducting a webinar on neighboring rights royalties for A2IM members on February 6th at 1pm EST. More details to come on this.
5. SoCal Music Industry Professionals Music Industry Happy Hour 13th Edition. I will be hosting the next meetup in February on the 20th or 27th. Stay tuned at www.meetup.com/scmiponline or www.facebook.com/groups/scmiponline.
Thank you for following my blog. I am looking forward to a busy 2019. I’ll be sure to keep this community updated from time-to-time.